Still time to get into battle
There is still time to sign up for the Battle for the Belts, taking place, July 23, at the Gilbert Plains Country Club (GPCC).
More than 40 teams have registered so far, but organizers are hoping to increase that number to more than 50, with a limit of 72 teams.
Dale Murray and Boston Karlson will be back to defend the titles they won last year.
The tournament is a two-person scramble, with a 10 a.m. shotgun start and it is open to anyone, men, women and children alike.
The registration fee is $130 per team and it includes a meal and prizes.
Registrations must be prepaid by calling Chris Todoruk at 204-648-7989 or Danny Scott at 204-572-7552. The registration deadline is July 17.
There will be a $10,000 hole-in-one, sponsored by Love and Persson Group, as well as a $1,000 hole-in-one.
All proceeds will go towards upgrades at the GPCC.
Humboldt students express sympathies
When Christine Letain went to pick up the mail for St. Viator’s parish last week, a special surprise was waiting for her.
“There was a package containing a letter from St. Dominic’s School in Humboldt, expressing their sadness and their condolences to the community, as well as Grade 2 and Grade 6 students made up a bunch of cards with messages on them saying they’re praying for us and they’re sad,” Letain said. “I just thought it was something really special, especially coming from Humboldt.”
The letter contained in the package read:
To the Community of Dauphin and the Surrounding Area,
We are deeply saddened by your recent tragedy and would like to offer our sincerest condolences on the loss of 16 community members. We continue to offer up our prayers for the 16 souls, their loved ones, for the injured and for all the people who have helped and continue to help moving forward. Please accept thses cards and distribute as you see fit as a reminder that we stand with you in your time of immense sorrow.
Much love and hugs from, St. Dominis School Students and Staff, Humboldt, Saskatchewan
_____
Right now Letain is trying to determine the best way to share the cards and the letter with the community at large.
“This isn’t just a message for St. Viator’s, it’s for the entire community” Letain said, adding the parish will try to determine the best way to share the messages with Dauphin residents.
“Right now I’ve just got them all here at the church. We actually have a funeral here on Saturday for one of those victims and so I thought it might be kind of nice if (the cards) are here for them to see. But after that I have no idea what to do with them.”
Tender issued for Main Street South reconstruction project
The tender for the $13.5 million Main Street South reconstruction project has finally been issued.
The province called for proposals for work on PTH 5A, the main access into the City of Dauphin from the south, as a result of expanded commercial development along the route which has brought with it increased traffic volumes and higher collision rates.
The 1.7-km project covers a section of PTH 5A from Whitmore Ave., south to Triangle Road, and includes surface reconstruction with the creation of a divided highway.
The plans call to improve safety in the commercial area by having all local accesses connect to service roads, and service roads connecting to PTH 5A at upgraded intersections. Those service roads will be constructed along both the east and west sides of highway from their existing points south to Triangle Road.
As well, a new intersection allowing access to Dauphin Market Place Mall will be developed, complete with traffic signals.
Improvements and restorations to the road will benefit the community and the region by enhancing safety and traffic flows along the high-volume, main thoroughfare that is an integral trade route to economic development in the area.
Included in the project is a new drainage system design for the south end. The plan includes the digging of two retention ponds, one on each side of the highway, which will collect spring runoff, as well as runoff from major weather events.
“They’re slow releases. So the intent is that they actually run dry in the summer months, or during drier times, but be able to fill up again in a big event,” said Mike VanAlstyne, director of Public Works and Operations, adding the installation of 830 metres of storm sewer pipe below ground is also included in the drainage plan.
“It’s a big project that’s very complicated, but it’s not really. It’s moving water from one place to another, where it wants to go. But just moving it on your timeline not nature’s.”
The cost of the drainage system has been pegged at $8.15 million which the city will debenture through the province.
The original plan called for a project extending over two construction seasons with the bulk of the construction work taking place in year one and the finishing touches being added early in the second year. That is obviously no longer the case, VanAlstyne said.
“The hope is that it would (start) this fall, or say late summer if it’s September. Construction would end next August,” VanAlstyne said, adding while the project was originally slated to begin this spring, the delay is not as bad as it might seem. “Not terrible. There’s a pretty aggressive work schedule tied to it.”
The issuing of the tender also clears the way for another long-awaited project as earth excavated to construct the retention ponds, or a portion of it anyway, will be used to construct the toboggan hill at Maamawi Park, VanAlstyne said.
“Approximately 25 per cent of the excavation material is going (to the development on the Dauphin Recreation Services grounds), the remainder is going elsewhere,” VanAlstyne said, adding the drainage project is going to produce about 30,000 cubic meters of excavation material. “These are big retention ponds.”
Final touches put on weekend rodeo plans
The Fair and Rodeo grounds in Gilbert Plains will be a beehive of activity this week as Gilbert Plains/Grandview Agricultural Society volunteers prepare for their annual Fair and Rodeo, July 14 to 16.
“We’re going to be at the grounds starting to set everything up and any evening next week, if there’s any volunteers that want to come out, there will be stuff going on every evening,” society president Kevin Boese said. “Setting up tents and getting things cleaned up and ready to roll.”
Boese said new this year there is three full days of chuck wagon racing with races getting under way Friday evening and continuing Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
“When the chuck wagons association goes around, they like to set up and be there for three days and there’s lots of places that they don’t do that. So we just wanted to give it a try this year and I think it should be a good success,” Boese said adding the races add another element to the first day of the exhibition.
“We have the parade Friday afternoon and Friday evening there was never really much going on. Everybody was in town already anyways for the parade, so we figured why not have chuck wagons on Friday evening and that gives something else to do.”
On top of the parade at 3 p.m. and chuck wagon and chariot racing at 7 p.m. Friday attractions feature a light horse show beginning at 11 a.m., a petting zoo from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and a beer gardens featuring an open mic opportunity at 4 p.m., a DJ beginning at 9 p.m. and karaoke.
On Saturday things get underway with a pancake breakfast at the Lions Club booth at 7 a.m. followed by slo-pitch and the light horse show at 9 a.m.
A trade and craft show kicks off at 10 a.m. as does a show and shine car show.
“Last year there wasn’t a lot of cars, however, we’ve had lots of interest this year, so we’re hoping for a lot bigger show this year,” Boese said. “We thought bringing that in would maybe bring a little different crowd than the agricultural stuff.”
Kids activities such as the petting zoo, face painting and the Kinds Zone run all day , as does the Kids Sand Pile under the Fusion Credit Union Tent where youngsters can bring a shovel and dig for buried treasure. A kids tractor pull takes place on the tennis court at 12:30 p.m.
At 3 p.m. those in attendance will be treated to something completely new when the Truco Trick Riders perform some amazing feats on horseback, Boese said, adding the group will perform again at halftime of the rodeo along with the popular Wild Pony Races.
“We had a few people commenting that there just wasn’t much going on at a half times, so that’s why we’re bringing in a little bit of entertainment for the halftime show,” he said. “I can’t remember anything like that ever being (at the rodeo) since I’ve been involved. That should be very entertaining. They should put on a really good show.”
Chuck wagons and chariots get back in action at 3:30 p.m. with a special Redneck Farmer Challenge scheduled for halftime. The competition will see teams of three people attempt to complete a series of farm chore related tasks in a timed event.
“We’re hoping to get four teams. We don’t have any time teams signed up yet, but we haven’t actually done a whole lot of advertising,” Boese said. “It can be anybody, it doesn’t matter who or what age. There’ll be some laughs involved in that, that’s what that one’s all about.”
Rodeo action gets underway at 7 p.m. and the day wraps up with a Party in the Dirt featuring After Dark Xtreme.
Things get going again early Sunday with rodeo slack taking place from 8 a.m. to noon, if needed.
Slo pitch, the light horse show, petting zoo, face painting, Kids Zone and Legion bingo are all back operation and a church service and free pancake breakfast are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Donations are welcome.
Chuck wagons and chariots get underway at 1 p.m., followed by a gymkhana at 2 p.m. and the rodeo at 4 p.m.
It is a full weekend that would not be possible without the hard work of volunteers and the support of sponsors and the community at large.
“It costs a lot of money and a lot of man hours to put these things on. Way more than the average person ever knows and way more than I ever knew before I started helping with this,” Boese said, adding it is all worth it when you experience the final product.
“I think it’s going to be a great show there’s going to be tons of stuff. There’s a little bit of something for everybody. If you can’t find something to do there, you might as well just stay home.”
Family makes a public plea
The communities of Tootinaowaziibeeng Treaty Reserve, San Clara and Roblin have been spiraling since the discovery of Melinda Lynxleg’s body was found on a property in San Clara last month.
The news has sent shock throughout the communities and now many unanswered questions are floating around.
Read all about it in this week’s Review.
RCMP called out to keep the peace
About 4 p.m. on June 17, RCMP received a report from Motor Carrier Enforcement in town who were dealing with a person who didn’t like it.
Members attended to keep the peace.
Find out what’s been keeping police busy in this week’s issue.
School improving access
Goose Lake High (GLH) is getting some much needed upgrades to make the school more accessible for people with disabilities and mobility restrictions.
The renovations include the installation of a grooming room, staff washroom upgrade, janitor room upgrade and wheelchair lift installation.
Want to know more? Check out this week’s Review.
Camp support
The Legion Ladies Auxiliary has generously donated $300 each to four local Girl Guides who have registered for the first interprovincial camp of their girl guide careers. The weeklong Crocus camp will be held in Dauphin and is an elective option for girls in Guides, Pathfinders, or Rangers.
The camp will assist the girls in developing leadership skills, fostering independence, gaining confidence, sharing in the sisterhood of guiding and learning an appreciation for the outdoors and respect for the environment.
Cranberry Portage plans monthly outdoor artisan market
With the beautiful summer weather comes plenty of outdoor activities, including market season. This year the Cranberry Portage Artisan Market is preparing their annual market in the community.
“The Cranberry Portage Artisan Market began in 2019, just in time to be shut down the following year due to COVID-19,” said Cranberry Portage Artisan Market Organizer Barb Bragg. “So last year, 2022, was our second market, out of four years. The Market takes place on the Canadian Heritage Museum Grounds, just off Portage Ave W, technically at 105 Railway Avenue, beside the railway tracks.
“The museum once was a functioning railway station and remains a stop for The Pas/Pukatawagan run. The museum showcases the incredible history of Cranberry Portage - originally referred to as the Cranberry Carrying Place.”
Local group takes part in AIS Advisory Forum
Last week the Province announced a new group to help with the fight against and protection from aquatic invasive species (AIS). The Aquatic Invasive Species Advisory Forum was established to ensure a regionally diverse range of input was considered in terms of the testing and public education of AIS.
Local group, Citizens for Protecting Our Northern Waterways (CPONW), has become a part of this newly formed advisory forum.
“We've been advocating for such a group to be established for quite some time, both with the minister responsible for AIS and with the staff responsible for administering the program,” said CPONW President Chris Smith. “We were aware that this was in the works.
“The current provincial AIS program has largely been developed and implemented with a provincial scope, with limited input from local communities or community groups.